What is NextGEN?
Discover our vision, mission, goals and story.
NextGEN aspires to unleash the passion, creativity, and action of young people, infuse it with the power of community and direct it towards co-creating a regenerative, peaceful and connective culture while building bridges of love, empowerment, and possibility.
NextGEN works to empower, educate, connect, and inspire young adults based on ecovillage values and principles to take collaborative action, participate in the ecovillage movement, and contribute to community-led change for eco-social regeneration.
We stand as living examples of young people intentionally connecting with and taking action in their communities or ecovillages. We provide education and opportunities for young people who wish to co-create a peaceful and regenerative culture.
At the moment, the NextGEN Regions are taking solid steps towards our mission through focusing on key areas to strengthen our capacity as a network:
- Training and upskilling young people interested in taking on leadership roles within the GEN networks
- Organising youth focused events and/or co-holding their corresponding GEN Regions annual conferences
- Outreach: Consolidation of visual identity and online presence through websites, social media and other contents
- Education: The continuation of threading sustainability education throughout events and projects
- Supporting youth participation in both GEN and international events
- Acting local via creation of NextGEN National Network Groups in their own countries or local territories
During the GEN+10 Conference at Findhorn, Scotland in 2006, momentum built to join together the Next GENeration of GEN – NextGEN was born. Over the following years, young people organised their own programme during GEN Conferences to explore their unique needs, establishing leadership roles within the networks of GEN and envisioning projects to connect youth to the Ecovillage movement.
In 2013, during a GEN Conference at Schweibenalp, Switzerland, we built upon the existing internal structure of NextGEN, creating a Youth Council and our participation on the Network Steward Circle, the governance body of GEN. Today we continue to expand our activities globally.
If you want to know more on our activities since 2012, come discover our annual reports.